Like many parents, I've fallen out of the habit of seeing films in the theater. The cost of tickets, added to babysitting costs and assorted sundry expenses, not to mention the time involved, made it more alluring to wait for the video or cable release and watch movies then. Some films, though, don't translate well to the small screen. And, of course, as my kids have gotten older, they've wanted to go to the movies instead of watching them at home.
So I'm looking at the movies that are in theaters now and making a list of films I want to see in their bigger than life incarnations.
1. Harry Potter, 7.2. This is a no-brainer, especially since FutureStar and Midkid have been chomping at the bit to see it, too. We'll probably go this week (though I'll never fully win them back after missing the midnight showing for the LAST HARRY POTTER MOVIE EVER.)
2. Cars 2. Not one I'm dying to see on the big screen, but GPS is, so to keep the movie-going-with-kids in balance, we'll be heading out to the multiplex for this one as well.
3. Cowboys & Aliens. Harrison Ford. Daniel Craig. An old-fashioned western until the spaceships arrive. Can't wait!
4. Captain America. Intrigued by the positive buzz I've been hearing lately.
5. Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty. Okay, this one's a wish list movie, since it hasn't been released yet (it hasn't even hit the festival circuit!), but I'd love to see this one on the big screen.
How about you? What movies are you looking forward to, or have enjoyed already this summer? And do you prefer seeing films in the theater, or in the comfort of your own home?