Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Best. Summer. Meal. Ever.


I made my fave summer dish tonight for dinner, and was reminded just how much I love it. I first made bruschetta a few years back for a family pot luck, and was hooked. Funny thing is, I'm not a huge tomato fan, unless they're cooked in an italian sauce. But for bruschetta, I'll make an exception.



There are probably as many variations of bruschetta as there are cooks, but here's my personal favorite:



*fresh tomatoes, chopped (I used three)


*handful of basil leaves, chopped (no, you can't use dried. Sorry.)


Mix together and put in fridge.


Slice fresh mozzarella; cut deli slices of ham in half.


Take one loaf pain francais or Italian bread. Slice in rounds. Brush with olive oil and broil in oven until golden brown.



Then pile ham, cheese, and tomato mix on the toasted bread. Eat. Enjoy.



Seriously. Give it a try. I bet you'll be hooked, too.



So what's your favorite summer dish?

3 comments:

Becka said...

Kate,

It looks like your cheese is melty. Do you put it under the broiler one more time? And is that "normal" deli ham like honey ham or black forest ham, or is it the more expensive proscuito (or however you spell that?)

I ask, because it doesn't look like honey ham... :P

~~Becka

Kate Davies said...

Yeah, you got me, Becka. I posted too late at night and used the first bruschetta picture I could find, which so doesn't look like what I make. I've updated the post so it is more in line with my recipe, although there's no ham or cheese in this pic.

Sigh. Guess I'll have to take a picture of my version and post it later. :)

I used black forest ham yesterday. Yum.

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of Ina Garten's (The Barefoot Contessa) gazpacho soup. The recipe is here: Gazpacho. Grab it while you can because it's only online for a little while and so worth having! (If the link doesn't work, just search foodnetwork.com's recipes for Gazpacho. You'll find it.) Yum!