Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Countdown to Most Likely To Succeed!

Five days to go!

How about a new, never-before seen excerpt:



Kelsey put the phone on speaker and set it on her dresser. “I don’t think I can make it tonight,” she lied.

“Bullshit,” Tess said, her voice echoing over the phone line. “You just don’t want to run into Nathan again.”
   
Kelsey stood in front of the mirror and held up a red sweater.
    
No. She tossed it on the bed. “I’m just really busy.” Which was not only a lie, but a lame one at that.
And why was she trying on clothes for an event she’d just said she couldn’t attend?

Clearly, she had issues with internal consistency.

“Busy doing what?” Tess snorted. “Come on, cut the crap and get down here before I drag you kicking and screaming."

“I can’t.” She shoved the pile of clothing out of the way and sat down on the bed. “I made a complete fool out of myself today. And I haven’t thanked you yet for making it possible, have I?”
   
“How was I supposed to know he’d show up at the door in nothing but a towel? Which, by the way, you should be thanking me for, minus the sarcasm, thank you very much.”

Kelsey grabbed the phone from the dresser and took it off speaker. “Okay, yes, the visual was—impressive. But he started asking me questions and I...” She swallowed. “I panicked.”
   
Tess’s voice softened. “You’ve done nothing to be ashamed of, Kelsey. I wish you could get past that and just enjoy the reunion.”
   
Kelsey picked at a loose thread on the blue-and-green sweater next to her. “I know.”
   
“So put on something sexy, come have a few drinks and enjoy yourself. Better yet, get a few drinks into Nathan and enjoy him.”
   
“Tess!”
   
“What? It’s not like there’s a wide pool of candidates for a fling here in Silverton. Face it. You’ve had the hots for him for years. Why not take advantage of the short time he’s in town to act on it?”
   
Preorder Most Likely to Succeed here!

No comments: