Saturday, September 26, 2009

It's Banned Books Week!



Again, you say? Didn't we talk about this just last year?

Sadly, yes. Books are still being banned, so the ALA Banned Books Week continues. This year, it's occurring from September 26 to October 3.

The American Library Association recorded 513 challenged is 2008, but that total is estimated to be only 20-25% of the actual number of banned or challenged books. These books include the Harry Potter series, Barbara Kingsolver's Animal Dreams (a personal favorite), Lois Lowry's award-winning The Giver, and classics such as Slaughterhouse Five, Of Mice and Men, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and To Kill A Mockingbird.

My goal this week is to identify and read a challenged book that I haven't read before. How about you? Will you join me in this challenge?

Post your selection in the comments section, and one commenter will win a prize at the end of the week!

1 comment:

Jane said...

One blogger mentioned they were reading "Fahrenheit 451." I haven't read this book since college, but I think I'll try to reread it this weekend. Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite authors.