Monday, July 12, 2010

Monday Movie Musings - Eclipse

Note: This is a new, semi-regular feature I'm adding to the blog. It will be a mix of new releases and favorites available on DVD, mostly because with kids I don't get out to the theater often enough to warrant weekly reviews of new films. I will do my best to keep all reviews spoiler-free, because it irritates me when I read a review on a book or movie and it gives away the ending. Hope you enjoy!

Week two of my Monday Movie Musings, and it's another midnight showing. This time, we saw Eclipse, which was the biggest movie event I'd ever seen in our little town. I'd tried to order tickets online but the website said it was sold out, so I drove down to see if any tickets were available at the box office. Luckily, the guy at the counter said that they were continuing to open screens each time a theater filled up. I bought three tickets, and about half an hour before we headed out to the theater.

Tactical error. The movie theater is at the local mall, and even 30 minutes prior I was hard-pressed to find a parking space. We finally parked in the furthest row and hiked over to the cinema.

It was packed. The line for the concession stand was out the door, and groups of people milled around outside, hoping against hope that they could get tickets because, yes, it was finally sold out. All ten screens.

We wandered from theater to theater, hoping to find three seats together. Finally we found them – in the second row. Hello, neck strain!

As with last week's movie, I wans't as familiar with the source material as many in the theater. I've never read the books, and I have only a vague idea of the storyline. That said, there were things I liked about the movie. I liked the opening scene - I thought it was very tense and evocative. I liked Victoria's race through the woods. And yes, Jacob does look hot without a shirt. (I know, I know. I'm so ashamed.)

And a lot of the enjoyment of the movie was spending it with my kids, who ARE huge fans of the franchise.

FutureStar – I loved it so much! It was great and awesome and will please any Twilight fan out there. I liked that it included Bree Tanner. Way better than Twilight.

MidKid – I liked the whole movie. The director showed many details. The two best parts of the movie are when Riley gets bitten, and the scene between Bella and Jacob.

No comments: