Because I'm too darn tired to come up with something clever, here's a list of thirteen things I can see on my desk at the moment. I guess it's a reminder that I need to clean it up!
1. Notebook, binder, and manila folder of materials for new job
2. Box of Tyvek envelopes
3. Ballpoint pen advertising political campaign (losing) for local commissioner race
4. Roll of masking tape
5. Three--count 'em, three--printers
6. May 2006 issue of Cooking Light
7. Phone book marked "use through December 2006"
8. Little black thingy that fell off my chair
9. Tangle of cords for connecting (a) digital camera, (b) Alphasmart, (c) another printer, and (d) mp3 player to the computer
10. Staples buying guide (which my youngest likes to play with -- smacking the photo of the "easy" button and reciting "that was easy" over and over and over and over and...
11. Lady and the Tramp mug of hot chocolate. Empty.
12. Bag of cinnamon red-hots, a futile attempt to avoid chocolate temptation over the Valentine's season.
13. A paper-edited manuscript, half-completed.
If you couldn't tell, I'm a bit of a packrat. How about you? Neat and tidy, or could they determine the time period of an item based on the layers of material surrounding it, like they do in geology? What's the most unusual item you can see right now?