Thursday, January 20, 2011
The DH's Thursday Thirteen - Thirteen Great Beatles Songs (That Don't Normally Get Airtime)
As requested by notoriouslyunique, here's a list of some of the DH's favorite Beatles tunes.
These aren't the usual suspects - he focused on songs that aren't played as often, the ones you don't hear every day, but are great nevertheless. It's a completely subjective list, and would most likely change next month. Hope you enjoy!
1. Cry Baby Cry (White Album) Might be one of my top five Beatles songs. Love it, especially the outro.
2. Anna (Please Please Me) Pure sweetness.
3. Bad Boy (Past Masters Volume 1) Kicks. This song really rocks. John's vocals are wonderfully raw.
4. Tomorrow Never Knows (Revolver) Last song on the album - Beatles enter the world of psychedelia.
5. It Won't Be Long (Meet The Beatles) Early Beatles rock and roll.
6. Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite! (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band) John wrote this song after buying a Victorian-era poster. The lyrics come directly from the poster.
7. I've Got A Feeling (Let It Be) GPS's favorite late-Beatles tune. Might be mine as well.
8. It's Only Love (Help) John's vocals near the end are beautiful.
9. This Boy (Past Masters Volume I) Sounds like it's right out of the fifties.
10. Flying (Magical Mystery Tour) The only Beatles instrumental (with some background la-la-las).
11. You Know My Name Look Up The Number (Past Masters Volume II) Paul liked this song. It's unusual - keep an open mind! But I loved it.
12. Things We Said Today (Hard Day's Night) Great early Beatles song.
13. Long, Long, Long (White Album) George at his best. Haunting.
So there you have it! Did any of your favorites make the list? What would you include?