Tuesday, December 04, 2007

I Take It Back.

Okay, can we rewind yesterday and delete my whining about the concert?


Because today I'm just so thankful to be in a warm, dry, non-flooded house, I can't believe I even worried about something so insignificant.


Oregon and Washington are absolutely DEVASTATED by the storm and flooding. I live in one of the hardest-hit areas, but we're lucky enough to be in a part of town that's above flood stage. I've spent a good portion of the day watching the news, mouth gaping open as I see people kayaking to the front door of a local store; wheelchair-bound residents being airlifted by Coast Guard helicopter in the middle of the night from the roof of a house; truckers stopped on the side of the interstate for what will likely be days because the main north-south route through the state is blocked by ten feet of water. A local park we like to go to is now almost completely underwater. (It's a little disconcerting to see "Do Not Enter/Wrong Way" signs nearly submerged.)


So. Priorities, here. Tonight, mine include giving my kids an extra hug, and sending up an extra prayer for my friends and neighbors who weren't nearly as lucky.

2 comments:

Stacy~ said...

Oh how devastating. Be safe Kate. I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers.

charleneteglia said...

Kate, I was worried about you, so I'm very glad to hear you're dry! We are safe, too, and so relieved the storm is over. No kidding, it does put petty concerns in perspective.