Monday, March 12, 2007

Shoe Confessions

I bought a pair of shoes this weekend.

Honestly, it shouldn't be such a big deal to me. I'm going to a wedding next weekend, and I needed shoes to go with the dress I'll be wearing. That's another thing -- how in the world did I end up buying three dresses for one wedding?

I swear, I'm such a Libra. On the one hand...but on the other....

Anyway. I bought three dresses, which is what happens when you have three kids in five years and then stay home with them. Your entire wardrobe consists of jeans, sweaters, t-shirts (long and short sleeved), and a whole bunch of outdated "nice" clothes. I went rummaging through my closet for a dress and realized everything seasonal had shoulder pads the size of New Jersey.

So, I bought these dresses, one brown and pink, one yellow with a tiny floral pattern, and one yellow-and-green flowy-type. (That's the technical term for it.) And of course, I don't have shoes that work with any of them.

Now, normally, I'll go to PayLess Shoe Source or one of the outlets (a benefit of living a mile from a big outlet mall) and pick up something inexpensive.

But NOOOO. My hubby needed a dress shirt, and wanted to go to Nordstroms, so off we trundled to Nordy's. Just for fun, I wandered through the women's shoe department, admiring the shoes I could never afford to buy but think are adorable anyway.

And I found it. The Shoe. Nothing fancy, just a cute, slingback, dressy sandal that would work with any one of the three dresses. Against my better judgment, I tried it on.

It fit. Perfectly.

Horrified, I checked out the clearance racks. Surely there would be something less expensive that would work?

I found another, less-costly option, but hubby vetoed it. The other shoe was much better, he said.
I have to admit, it was tough. I have a very hard time spending money on myself. It's so much easier to get something for the kids because, let's face it, they grow so fast new clothes are a necessity much of the time. But this weekend, the spending was on me. And it felt really good.

And so did the shoes. :)

2 comments:

Becka said...

Preach on, woman. I know all about the horrors of the stay-at-home-mom's wardrobe...

And I'm a Libra too, and can hardly justify spending money on myself. DH spends money like it's water and my kids always need something. When I see the random article of clothing or CD or movie I want, I rarely buy it, thinking that money could be used for other things.

Sometimes we just need to suck it up and buy the damn thing. LOL I've been learning more and more to embrace this. :P

~~Becka

TeaMouse said...

Being a mom means we learn to do with out so we can give our kids more! Sometimes our DH's our the best ones to make us treat ourselves - aren't men great!