Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Kate's Shorts -- A Contest!

No, not THOSE kinds of shorts --I mean short fiction. Novellas, short stories, flash fiction. You name it, I've probably written it, from 1000 word short-shorts to 25K novellas.

I've written longer books as well, of course. But you may have noticed that all of my books currently out with Samhain are shorts.

I love the format, both to read and to write. I especially love picking up a new anthology and charging through all the varied stories. I'm curious, though -- what do you look for in an anthology?

Do you prefer connected stories, or a wide variety? Do you enjoy themed collections, or stories that revolve around a group of people who are connected in some way? (Family members, friends, co-workers of some sort...)

In other words, what makes an anthology work for you?

Everyone who posts will be eligible for a giftie. :) Deadline is Friday, March 23, midnight EST.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Kate

11 comments:

Teresa said...

I like reading anthologies. I usually pick up one of these books when I know one of the authors who have written a short story within the book. This also lets me read stories by other author who i might not be familiar with. I also enjoy the fact that you get more than one story within an anthology.

KimW said...

I like stories that involve friends and family members, especially if the stories are all written by the same author. If there's more than one author, then it can be a wide variety of stories or a themed collection. I enjoy anthologies most when I'm short on time. It's nice to be able to finish a story. Plus, it's a great way to try new authors.

Laurie T said...

I love anthologies, but do tend to pick up the ones with some sort of connecting theme (an item passed from one person to another, a curse that takes three true loves to break, that sort of thing).

Cathy said...

I like stories about a group of people related in some way. That way we get familiar characters coming in and out, and makes the shorter stories actually more of a long single book.

diane craver said...

To be truthful, I don't read anthologies a lot but I'm going to more often since I know Samhain has so many good ones.In the past I've enjoyed themed anthologies though.

shellya said...

Actually, I love to read so I read anthologies as easy as short or longer stories. I like to read multiple author anthologies because it's a great way to read a new author. I prefer that the stories be connected in some way. :)

Meankitty Says... said...

I like everything, but I especially enjoy themed collections where the authors worked together to produce connected stories! It's fascinating to see the same type of event or circumstance in different authors' voices.

M-dith said...

Themed anthologies are my preference. If I like the theme, there's a better chance that I'll like most or all of the stories. And it gives me an introduction to stuff by authors who I might be familiar with but not be ready to invest time in for a whole novel. (Wow! what a grammatically wretched sentence. Sorry! ::blush: I must need more caffeine. Yeah, that's it. ;) )

Joye said...

I read anthologies, especially ones that I have read of a particular author. It is a good way to read new authors too. Oh heck, I just love to read

Amy S. said...

I love reading anthologies! I like reading connected stories and varied stories.

Allie Boniface said...

Actually, I don't read many anthologies, but if I do pick one up, I'll go for themed ones. This doesn't mean the stories are connected by characters or storyline, however, just general topic. And I like multiple authors, esp. new ones I haven't heard of before.