When I was a kid I loved Sesame Street. (Side note: why is it that I can't get my kids hooked on it? Sigh...) One of my favorite elements of the show was the parodies -- the song lyrics slightly changed, the new versions of TV shows or fairy tales. That sly, off-beat sense of humor tickled me. I roamed around YouTube to find thirteen fun ones -- except for my second choice, which I love but isn't posted there. Enjoy!
1. The Beatles-esque ode to the Letter B (When I find I can't remember, what comes after A and before C, my mother always whispers, Letter B...)
2. Monsterpiece Theater: Waiting For Elmo (Beckett for preschoolers!)
3. Monsterpiece Theater: The Sound of Music
5. News Flash -- Pinocchio
6. ZZ Blues
7. Monsterpiece Theater: Twelve Angry Men
8. Eatin' Cookie -- newer, so I didn't see this as a kid -- but carries on the tradition of using non-kid-appropriate base material for fun parodies.
10. Monsterpiece Theater: Inside/Outside Story
11. Hey Food, another great Beatles parody
12. Monsterpiece Theater: The Postman Always Rings Twice (seriously, what is it with using really non-kid-safe material as the basis for a parody? This is so written for the parents...)
13. Monsterpiece Theater: Monsters With Dirty Faces (Gotta love muppets doing '30s gangster parodies...)
So there you go. Tougher than I thought, since many of my favorites don't fall into the category of parodies (Aliens and the telephone! A banana in Ernie's ear!)
Did I miss your favorite? Let me know which ones to check out!