Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lessons In Trust -- First Excerpt!



They rode back to her apartment in silence.


His announcement had been met with a disbelieving glare and a great view of her back, as she whirled around in search of someone to contradict his claim. The other palace bodyguards, however, backed him up, leaving the Ice Princess with nothing to do but fume.

She’d tried to hunt down Leo, but it was no use. Prince Alex had given him a cabin in the countryside as thanks for many, many years of service, and he was already moved in. And none of the other security staff would take her anywhere, despite pleas, bribes, or even commands.

Eric bit back a smile. It seemed warnings from the prince carried more weight than threats from the princess, even one who was responsible for all the hiring and firing at the palace. The impotent fury of this woman scorned was almost palpable inside the limousine.


"Thank you for the ride back to my apartment. However, you will be reassigned by tomorrow," she said now, looking out the side window of the limo.

"No disrespect intended, Your Highness, but that’s unlikely." He glanced at her in the rearview mirror.

"As personnel director, I have that right," she retorted. "I have final say over my personal employees."

"Normally, yes," he said, earning another barely-restrained glare from her. "Not in this case."

"What on earth are you talking about?"

He shrugged. Looking in the rearview mirror again, he caught her glance. Even in the dim interior of the vehicle, he could see the clear blue eyes flashing fire. "I was hired independently by Prince Alex. He has left strict orders that no one except me is to drive you anywhere or act as your bodyguard. You’re stuck with me—at least until he returns from his honeymoon."

"That’s two weeks!" She shook her head. "Unacceptable. And what was he thinking, hiring someone for me? That’s my job. I do the hiring. I choose my own staff. I have no intention of abdicating my responsibility."

"Funny, I feel the same way." The limo slid to a stop, idling at the red light. "Regardless of your feelings, Highness, you don’t have any choice. The fact is, you need me."

"I don’t need anyone."

"Judging by the lame excuses for bodyguards that you’ve chosen for the past few years, that’s pretty obvious."

The fire was back. "What do you know about my bodyguards?"

He shrugged. "I know that you intentionally pick old men or boys you can push around. People so intimidated by your role in society they’d rather slit their own throats than contradict you. Which is all nice and good until you need someone to actually protect you. That’s where I come in."


"I’ve had no complaints about the service I’ve received."

"Of course not. You get to call all the shots. But not anymore. Things have changed."

She snorted. "Indeed. My brother has lost his mind."

"Better than losing his only sister." At her shocked silence, he continued. "Prince Alex has reason to believe that your life is in serious and immediate danger. I’ve been hired to make sure you stay alive."

12 comments:

tetewa said...

Enjoying these, keep them coming!

Maia Strong said...

Woot! Love the exerpt. :) Gives a great taste of the characters and that zinger at the end is fabu.

anne said...

Excellent excerpt. Am interested.

Jane said...

I like a hero who takes charge and won't take crap.

pearl said...

Enjoyed the excerpt and can hardly wait to read it.

Pamk said...

enjoyed the excerpt sounds like she met her match

danetteb said...

Exciting excerpt.Thank you.

Unknown said...

Sounds great!

Kate Davies said...

Glad you guys like it! I'll have more a little later on in the week. :)

Cathy M said...

Really liking this story so far.

mamasand2 said...

WOW!! Now there's an excerpt that reaches out and grabs you.
I really want to finish the rest of the story right now.

Mamasand2

Cherie J said...

Great excerpt! Left me wanting more.