Monday, April 15, 2013

Reason #102395765 I Love My Day Job

One of my co-workers was gone last week for a training. What you have to understand is, he's NEVER gone. I've been there just over a year and I've taken more vacation days than he has. 

This can be a dangerous thing. The first time I left my office for more than a day or two, this is what I came back to:


If you're familiar with The Bloggess, you'll recognize Beyonce, the giant metal chicken. There were supposedly 90 cutouts of her all over my office. I think I've discovered MAYBE 70 of them. And this was a year ago.

So I've been biding my time, waiting for a chance to get my co-worker back. Which is tough, because he NEVER GOES AWAY.

Except for last week.

He was gone. It was my opportunity.

Now, after a year of plotting, did I actually have anything planned? No. I did not. 

Those of you who know me will not be surprised in the least.

Luckily, I have other awesome co-workers, and we brainstormed together. 

After discarding the "turn everything upside down" and "fill the room with balloons" options, we came up with a brilliant plan, if we do say so ourselves. 

This is what co-worker will see when he walks into the building in the morning: 


A room filled with packing peanuts! Except not. 



We taped plastic sheeting over the inside of his window and filled *that* with packing peanuts. But it LOOKS like the whole damn room is filled, and that's what counts. 

We even put some heavy boxes on the other side of the door and pulled them snug with an old computer cable. When he tries to open the door, he'll run into resistance, which will make him think it really is stuffed full with packing peanuts. 

The best part is, cleanup will be a snap.

The only downside is, I can never take another vacation again. Who knows what they'll dream up while I'm gone?

1 comment:

Maia Strong said...

Love it! I'm not usually big on practical jokes, but these are the kind I can really appreciate. :-D