Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Thursday Thirteen -- 13 TV Shows I Miss


Thirteen TV Shows I Miss

No, not the ones I miss because I forget they're on or the kids have commandeered the remote again (although those are legion...) These are the shows I loved when they were on and miss watching them now.

1. Anything But Love. Clever banter, fun secondary characters, and the sparks between Marty and Hannah lit up the screen. When he sent her the bottle of rain -- sigh!

2. Caroline in the City. More clever banter, more fun secondary characters, and a great will-they-or-won't-they relationship between cartoonist Caroline and her colorist Richard. (I think I have a thing for sardonic, Eeyore-like heroes -- at least in my sitcoms!)

3. Cheers. Where everybody knows your name! Great, long-lasting characters (as evidenced by my choice for #5).

4. The Drew Carey Show. I especially loved the musical numbers. And Joe Walsh was an inspired casting choice!

5. Frasier. Hands down, the best comedy writing on TV during its tenure. Also features some of the best romantic tension around, in the Niles-pining-for-Daphne years. Personal faves -- The Ski Lodge, Moon Dance, Something Borrowed Someone Blue.

6. Friends. Must-see TV lived up to the name in this show! I loved season 5 -- the Monica and Chandler hookup season. Yes, I'm a sucker for romantic comedy. What, you couldn't tell that already? :)

7. Horatio Hornblower. Yes, I know, technically a miniseries, or string of related movies, or whatever, but I loved 'em! Especially with the yummy Ioan Gruffudd captaining the ship. Rowrl.

8. Lois and Clark: The New Adventures Of Superman. A fun, fresh, flirty version of the comic book fave. Plus Dean Cain in a delish Superman outfit. And yes, another romantic liaison to sigh over.

9. M*A*S*H. I remember watching this every week with my Dad. Loved the interaction of the characters, the great dialogue, the way they could make you laugh hysterically one minute and dissolve in tears the next. One of the best.
10. Moonlighting. David and Maddie. Need I say more?
11. Northern Exposure. Somewhere, I have a picture of myself under the moose sign. Loved the show.
12. Red Dwarf. This show was hit-and-miss for me, since it only seemed to run in marathons during fundraiser drives on the local PBS station, but it really defines my college years. I frequently annoy my husband and confuse my children by quoting from the show.
13. The Wonder Years. A sentimental favorite to round out the list. One of my favorite voiceover shows.

How about you? What were your favorite shows of yesteryear?



14 comments:

Caylynn said...

Great list of TV shows! I remember watching Red Dwarf when I was in university, and it could be incredibly funny!

M*A*S*H is my all-time favourite TV show. My husband and I have all of the seasons on DVD. It just had everything: comedy, drama, great acting, writing and directing. Just an incredible, amazing show.

Happy T13. :)

DigiscrapMom said...

I don't know if there's a DVD set for Moonlighting. I'm really looking for one.

Friends is just awesome. I love them! Drew Carey Show never failed to make me laugh and Cheers? It's definitely one series I'd love to have on DVD too!

Thanks for sharing your list! Happy Thursday

Unknown said...

I miss the X-Files ~ oh, do I miss the X-Files! I'm not sure if it's because I really liked the characters and the story lines...or if it's because I was obsessed with David Duchovny.

Either way, I miss the X-Files!

Great list! Happy Thursday!

Raggedy said...

Yay! I see quite a few on the list that I recognize. I have not watched tele in years. I am glad to see some of the shows I used to watch on your list.
Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
My TT is posted.
Have a wonderful day!
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy

Anonymous said...

I LOVED the Wonder years. And I miss cheers too.

Anonymous said...

Great list! Good memories :)

Sparky Duck said...

Frasier is still a classically funny show

Unknown said...

I used to love watching MASH. There are a few shows I really miss: Magnum PI, MacGyver and WKRP. I especially miss WRKP because I doubt you'll ever see it on DVD. :(

Anonymous said...

I miss Red Dwarf so much, sigh...

Maria, Lover of All Things Romance said...

God I miss The Wonder Years, Kevin and Winny, sigh.

Melissa Schroeder said...

Fantistic list!
I watched MASH with my dad also.
WKRP, one of the best ensemble casts ever and I LOVED Talk Radio. Arrested Development*g* I still mourn the passing of that one.

Annmarie McKenna said...

Emergency! I know, I'm weird. I was ticked when they took the reruns off. :(

Rhian said...

i don't watch ANY tv now but when i used to i was rabid for X-files, Northern Exposure and "My So Called Life."

Jill said...

The Wonder Years, Drew and Friends are the only I have watch!! But my favorite one I am missing, because it probably was prematurely cancel, is John Doe!!