Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #17 -- Sesame Street Edition


When I was a kid I loved Sesame Street. (Side note: why is it that I can't get my kids hooked on it? Sigh...) One of my favorite elements of the show was the parodies -- the song lyrics slightly changed, the new versions of TV shows or fairy tales. That sly, off-beat sense of humor tickled me. I roamed around YouTube to find thirteen fun ones -- except for my second choice, which I love but isn't posted there. Enjoy!


1. The Beatles-esque ode to the Letter B (When I find I can't remember, what comes after A and before C, my mother always whispers, Letter B...)

2. Monsterpiece Theater: Waiting For Elmo (Beckett for preschoolers!)

3. Monsterpiece Theater: The Sound of Music


5. News Flash -- Pinocchio

7. Monsterpiece Theater: Twelve Angry Men

8. Eatin' Cookie -- newer, so I didn't see this as a kid -- but carries on the tradition of using non-kid-appropriate base material for fun parodies.


10. Monsterpiece Theater: Inside/Outside Story

11. Hey Food, another great Beatles parody

12. Monsterpiece Theater: The Postman Always Rings Twice (seriously, what is it with using really non-kid-safe material as the basis for a parody? This is so written for the parents...)

13. Monsterpiece Theater: Monsters With Dirty Faces (Gotta love muppets doing '30s gangster parodies...)

So there you go. Tougher than I thought, since many of my favorites don't fall into the category of parodies (Aliens and the telephone! A banana in Ernie's ear!)

Did I miss your favorite? Let me know which ones to check out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...thanks for sharing...off to those links...

NOLADawn said...

Cool! I love the Muppets parody of Pulp Fiction personally :)
Happy TT!

Unknown said...

ROFL These are awesome! I forgot how clever a lot of these skits really were.

I miss Jim Henson. :(