Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sigh...

So I got my hair cut today.

Big deal, right? Well, I'm known for going serious lengths of time between haircuts. As in, I can usually donate to Locks of Love once I get around to a trim. :) With three kids, a day job, and the writing, regular haircuts fall by the wayside. I go for classic, no-layer, easy to maintain looks that can survive a long time between cuts.


This time, though, was different. I'm going to my class reunion next week and wanted something that had some style to it, something more than my usual "put it up in a ponytail and call it good" look.


And so far, I hate it.


There's nothing actually wrong with the cut. The stylist did exactly what I asked her to do. I just realized, after leaving the salon, that I'm not that person anymore. The cut doesn't fit me.


It's not hideous. Actually, it's a classic mid-jaw length bob. It looks fine. It just doesn't look like me--at least not yet.


I'm hoping I'll grow into it. (Hah! Pun honestly not intended.) In any case, I'm not interested in going any shorter to change the look. And I have a feeling I'll get used to it pretty quickly.


I may even like it. Who knows?


So, anyone else having a bad hair day?

6 comments:

Kate Johnson said...

I seriously need to see my hairdresser. My hair is long, so an inch or even two goes unnoticed at the ends, but the highlights? Youch, I have roots!

But I have a great stylist, who doesn't do what I tell her to--she does what she knows will suit me. Okay, she's scary--but she knows what she's doing!

Anonymous said...

Haircut? Whazzat? I so wanted to cut off my hair for RIII! Something a la Branagh in Henvy V, you know? Something not girly? But the director said no. ::sigh:: So I got two lousy inches trimmed off - not enough to notice - and am biding my time until the show closes next weekend and I can get it cut. Now I'm thinking something Harriet Vane / late 1930s-ish.

Kate Davies said...

Cat/Kate -- I need to go to your stylist! Someone needs to save me from myself. Although the transportation costs may be a bit much...

M-dith -- I hear you on the wait-til-the-show's-over look. And I just looked up a pic of Harriet Vane (at least the film version) and think it would look lovely on you. Go for it!

Stacy~ said...

I hate my hair - it's straight and thin and doesn't follow directions well. I did get a perm a few moments ago so right now it's not soooo bad - I just have to wash and dry, which I love. I'm trying to grow it out, so we'll see how long that lasts...

Unknown said...

Stacy, I have the same hair. Used to spend ages trying to get it to curl, then eventualy I realised I'm actually lucky that it's so low-maintenance. I don't even have to brush it often!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! It's similar to a cut I had years ago, and I think it's past time to revisit it. Question is, will I get off my butt and make an appointment any time soon? Maybe...