Monday, October 22, 2007

Book BIN Tuesday -- The Best Man


So the crossing guard at my middle child's school is a big-time romance fan. It's not unusual for her to hand me a grocery sack full of paperbacks as I walk across the street in the morning. (Or vice-versa.) Then we spend five minutes discussing recent reads and reality TV while my youngest stomps in puddles and announces that hot chocolate would be a nice snack.

Hint, hint.

So a few weeks ago she passed along a bunch of older paperbacks, saying that some were hit and miss. But she was really excited about one of them. "It's the historical about the cattle drive. I think you'll love it!"

Of course, she was right. The Best Man by Maggie Osborne is a ripping great read, with characters that absolutely inhabit the page and a breathtaking race against all odds. It may be a little hard to find, especially since you probably don't have a book-pushing crossing guard to give it to you, but I heartily recommend that you track it down and Buy It Now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the book recommendation! Have a great Tuesday, Kate!

Anonymous said...

I can't help. I'm picturing an 8-year old crossing guard handing you a bag of romance novels. It's highly amusing.

Kate Davies said...

LOL! Yes, I probably should have explained that the crossing guard is a school employee and mother of grown children. :)