Sunday, December 28, 2008

Digging Out


Today was a red-letter day.

I took the garbage out wearing my black flats.

This is an accomplishment, you see, because today was the first day I wore something other than thick winter boots on my feet. And why the winter boots, you say?

Because of the snow. Lots and lots and lots of snow.

Now, you have to understand that here in the Pacific Northwest, we're lucky if we get one or two snowfalls per winter, which tend to stick around for a day or two before the thaw sets in. This year, however, we had snow on six of the seven days prior to Christmas, including one day when it snowed for nine hours straight.

Let me tell you, it messed everything up. We northwesterners aren't accustomed to snow that, you know, lasts. We don't have experience driving on it, shoveling it, or (heavens!) looking at it for days at a time. There were benefits, of course. Lots of family time -- we took long walks through town enjoying the Christmas lights, held incredibly long snowball fights, and helped the kids make snow forts and find the best icicles for Harry Potter-style wands. And having a truly white Christmas was something we rarely experience.

On the other hand, I haven't driven in over a week and a half, finishing the Christmas shopping was an exercise in futility (one nephew still doesn't have a gift), and holiday plans were shifted, postponed, and even scrapped altogether.

So, though it's a little sad to see the lovely white snow melt away, I'm not disappointed to have life get back to normal again.

How is your post-holiday season treating you?

4 comments:

Maia Strong said...

May I just say, "Word!"? I love the snow, but after two solid weeks of it, I'm perfectly happy to see that for the most part it has melted away. We did manage to make all but one of our scheduled holiday gatherings. And it was nice to see people walking to the little neighbourhood shops and restaurants; I hear the snow was great for the small independent businesses. But, yeah, done now.

Kate Davies said...

Oh, so done. I love snow, too, but we just don't get the hang-around-for-weeks snowfalls like this one.

It was nice to be able to drive today -- my first time behind the wheel since the 17th. Of course, it was just to the post office and library, but still.

Kytaira said...

I can so relate to this thread. I grew up in WI but now live in WA. Somehow the snow here was so much worse than in WI.

My car didn't move for days. Thankfully we kept our power and I had a time consuming craft project that needed to be finished in time for Christmas. I honestly don't think I would have finished it (gifts for my 2 SILs) in time if I wasn't snowed in!

Kytaira said...

I can so relate to this thread. I grew up in WI but now live in WA. Somehow the snow here was so much worse than in WI.

My car didn't move for days. Thankfully we kept our power and I had a time consuming craft project that needed to be finished in time for Christmas. I honestly don't think I would have finished it (gifts for my 2 SILs) in time if I wasn't snowed in!