Thursday, January 08, 2009

Oh, dear Lord, Not Again...


Long-time readers of my blog may remember the postings a year ago December about the floods that hit my area. Well, it's happening again.

Record rains following record snowfalls plus saturated ground equals massive, record-shattering flooding on all the local rivers, and for the first time in anyone's memory, my neighborhood is at risk.

Seriously. The house is almost 100 years old, and there are no signs of flooding ever.

It's part of why we bought the darn place -- no evidence of flooding, and a block from one of the designated emergency shelters.

Well, today they sandbagged the elementary school and informed us that it would most likely NOT be an emergency shelter this time around. Oh, and move everything to higher ground.

Then they shut down the freeway (like last year), only then spreading the word that they recommended evacuation from the area. Gee, thanks for the suggestion. If you'd mentioned it earlier, I would have stopped dithering and headed to my folks' house an hour and a half away.

So we're here, everything off the basement floor, irreplaceable items moved to the third floor, waiting for something we sincerely hope won't happen.

For now, we're dry. But just in case, I'm unplugging the computer and taking it upstairs. I'll be back on when I can, with updates. And in the meantime, keep your fingers crossed, okay?

3 comments:

ChariDee said...

Good Luck! I really hope you stay dry!

Diane Craver said...

I hope you don't have any flooding. Sorry to hear your neighborhood is at risk for it.

Sending positive thoughts your way that you stay dry!

Kate Davies said...

Thanks guys! We made it through just fine -- see post above. :)