I don't suppose it'll be a surprise to anyone that I love romantic moments, on film or on TV shows. Historical or contemporary, if there's a sigh-worthy moment, I'm there!
Here are some of my favorites. Warning, there may be some spoilers here, if you haven't seen these particular movies or shows yet. Luckily, I'm so behind on my TV and movie viewing, most of these are several years old. :)
1. Mr. Darcy Takes a Dive. Pride and Prejudice, A & E version. When Colin Firth took a dip in the pond, then stumbled upon Elizabeth in the gardens -- oooh la la!
2. The spaghetti scene. Lady and the Tramp.
3. Monica Shows Up In Chandler's Bed. Friends. Okay, it's more comedy than romance, but I *loved* it. Talk about a shocker -- and a great set-up to the whole story arc.
4. The final scene of An Affair to Remember. 'Nuff said.
5. Lucy Finally Tells the Truth. While You Were Sleeping. At her own wedding, she confesses she's in love with Jack. "Not that one...*that* one."
6. Mark Darcy's Monologue. Bridget Jones's Diary. This was a tough one -- because there are just so many good sigh-worthy scenes in the movie!
7. Elinor Loses It. Sense and Sensibility. Get your mind out of the gutter -- this is Jane Austen, after all! It's the scene almost at the end, when Emma Thompson's character learns that she has a chance with Hugh Grant's character, after all.
8. Niles Confesses To Daphne. Frasier. "Oh, for heaven's sake, Dr. Crane." (She kisses him passionately.) "I think you can call me Niles now."
9. Anna's Speech to William. Notting Hill. How can you resist a line like, "I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her."
10. Hannah Gets The Bottle of Rain. Anything but Love. This one's coming out on DVD soon -- not this episode yet, unfortunately -- and I am *all* over it.
11. Lois Takes Off Clark's Glasses. Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. What's a girl to do, when she gets a proposal from her best friend AND Superman at the same time? :)
12. The Rain Dance. Singin' in the Rain. Okay, not technically a romantic scene, but his absolute joy in his love for Kathy just shines through. I melt a little every time I see it.
13. Jamie Confesses His Love for Aurelia. In Portuguese. Love Actually. What, do you think I have a thing for Colin Firth or something? Just because he shows up three times on this list?
Yes, I could have gone on and on. It was hard to narrow down!
And this list doesn't even take into consideration 'sad' romantic moments, like the end of Casablanca or any sitcom where the characters almost-but-not-quite get together.
So, what are your favorites?